Contact us now
01733 806330

Are You A Troncmaster?

I’ll get to the Troncmaster bit in just a moment, but first the background.

At my little accounting firm,, we had a query about tips and tax on tips. If you run a business in the UK, here’s what you need to know:

If you’re VAT registered and you run a business where your customers tip you (eg. a restaurant), and you automatically add that tip to the bill (so it’s a compulsory payment) then you need to add VAT to the tip.

If the tip is at the discretion of the customer, then you don’t need to add VAT to it.

Either way, you do need to account for it. HMRC want tax on your tips as they see it as just another part of the PAYE system.

And now for the best bit. If tips are pooled together in any establishment, this is known as a TRONC.

And when you have a TRONC, you must by law assign someone to look after it.

That person is called the TRONCMASTER.

The above is part of our “Awesome Stuff from HMRC You Couldn’t Make Up” series.

Author Bio:

Quentin Pain

Quentin Pain is a former IAB Small Business Mentor of the Year and Enterprise Nation Top 10 UK Business Advisor. He is the founder of multi-million pound British software company Accountz and runs A4Accountants to help micro businesses of all types with their accountancy needs at affordable prices. He is also an SEO specialist and has been featured in The Sunday Times, The Independent, The Daily Express, The Financial Times, MoneyWeek and Metro.




Are You A Troncmaster? was last modified: by

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.